Image Map

Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Spruce Up

So I have been collecting a few things throughout the years that I have sworn I would re-finish or up-cycle to decorate my outdoors with. For the last 6 years, a corner in my garage has been the home to some old windows, an old door and a few older chairs. Other spots in the house have housed some wrought iron, magnet boards, and other odds and ends. It seems though that other things seem to get in the way. It does for everybody. So we deal with it knowing it will happen when it happens.

Well, it has finally happened. The time has come and these things have been re-vamped!!! Can I get a WOOT WOOT??
Here some of the things we are working with here:


An old magnet board. In my old house in Bountiful, I used this in my kitchen. The house I am in now has a different setup, so it has been sitting for 3 years. So sad, I know. I have this crazy idea to hang it by my front door.I could put a cute little magnetic paper pad and a pencil cup for messages and different seasons of magnets. I think I can pull it off. We'll see.


Old Window, and a 10 window pane door. 
I know people spend hundred of dollars on doors like these. I feel a little guilty saying I got this one for free. I did spend money though when I bought one for my husbands PT clinic. Actually I talked the lady down from $120 to $65 for paying cash. These objects have real potential.


Left over furniture legs. (I know you are wondering what these have to do with summer decor) I have a friend that works for a furniture company. They have these legs leftover by the box full. In fact, he was using them as firewood! Gasp! I am thinking rustic candle holders??

 I have a few other things that I am going to add to this porch decor but I don't feel any desire to take pictures of a red area rug, grapevine or an old birdcage I have already redone.Sorry, I redid the birdcage before I ever thought about blogging.

Imagine if you will the structure of my front porch: you walk out the front door, walk about 4 feet and turn to your right and there is another area. It is an L shape. I have steps coming up to the porch from the walkway. I have always felt that when a visitor approaches that top step, they should see an extension of what is inside my home. I want people to feel a little bit of a hug as they go to ring my doorbell.

So I laid out the area rug by the front door. I hoped it welcomed people and made it feel like an outdoor living area. I didn't do any work to the magnet board, I just wiped it down, and hung it up. I bought the plant stand from home depot, and potted some impatiens flowers in white coral and red. I had this wreath stand and the wreath forever- don't knock it! It is rough I know....


This was last years project (before I was encouraged to blog). I spray painted these chairs brown. They were originally white. I bought the cushions and throw pillows on sale about halfway through the summer. I will replace them someday, but not now... it isn't in the budget. :)


Here is the door painted. Red is my signature color. I love red. It is strong, vibrant and regal. So why not refinish the door in this color? Okay, this door needed a lot of work. Sanding priming and painting. I replaced the doorknob hardware, you will be able to see that in a minute.


I know you were wondering how I was going to turn furniture legs into candle sticks but here it is. You take these furniture pieces and match up the circumference of one piece to the next. Put as many together as you see fit and voila! you have candlesticks. I will post a detailed tutorial soon.(Don't criticize my ghetto decor.... you love it!)

If you look really closely you will see that absolutely nothing on this window has been done. I have sanded or painted or anything. I just don't want it to sit in my garage any longer being "out of sight, out of mind", So I hung it up, and moved my wreath from the front door to here. I will get to it a lot sooner this way.


Here is my bird cage planter. It is an old cast iron bird cage I bought online a while ago for my parakeets. It was way too big for them. So I opted to use it for decor. It sits in the corner of the porch by one of the chairs, in front of the door.


And this picture is from standing right at the top step of the porch, to my right is the front door.


















If you look at these 2 pics it is almost like you are looking around the corners to my porch!

So as soon as I update the magnet board I will post about that and I will have a tutorial to come on the candle sticks.

Leave comments with your blog name, I  would love to see what you have done with your space!

0 comments: