Image Map

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

{Lemon Peppermint} Whipped Body Butter

I am kind of into the DIY at home products you see all over Pinterest. I will be posting about more coming soon, as the experience has been great. I tried something drastic (no poo-ing) and it has created a snowball effect in so many self care areas, and I am sure I have released a demon inside. I loved this product! It was cool to choose the scent I wanted. It feels great on my skin too, and the moisture is incredible.



This is the pin that has inspired my recipe. Don't be intimidated when you read the whole post. Remember, you always have a choice as to how you want to proceed. Even though I find the concept of Beef Tallow really interesting, I opted not to use it in this recipe. A few notes on this:
I ordered the Shea Butter online. I had no desire to drive to my closest Whole Foods Market in search of it.  Costco has Coconut Oil in a great size and a great price. And if you live here in UT, I think every other one of your neighbors sells DoTerra, or you can find my friend here, and her stuff is amazing. I have a bottle of Omega 3-6-9 that I used instead of Vitamin E.

Whipped Lemon Peppermint Body Butter

2 cups Shea Butter
1 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Jojoba Oil
2 tsp Essential Oils (your choice)
2 tsp Vitamin E Oil/Omega Oil (optional)

Using a double boiler, or a make shift one like me, put the Shea Butter and Coconut Oil into the top layer of the pan. Turn to medium heat. If you do not know what a double boiler is, it is basically a pan on the bottom filled with water, and the pan on top with the ingredients. It helps the ingredients not burn.


Because it is a slow melting process, you kind of just check it to make sure it is melting and stir as necessary to get it all melted.  Once melted, add the Jojoba Oil, essential oils, and Vitamin E. Once stirred, I poured into my mixing bowl.


I  cooled my bottom pan, filled with ice and water, and put the bowl into the ice bath. Let chill completely. This takes a while. 


I let it sit there, and came back every 20 minutes or so and stirred it to help it cool.


Once cooled, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip. This took about 2 minutes, and then I scraped the edge of the bowl. The stuff that gets the coolest kind of gets stuck so after a while, I realized I needed a wooden spade to help scrape it away.


Just keep whipping and scraping until stiff peaks form.


First I started putting it into a pint jar, and then I realized that these jars were going to be huge! So I started using half pint jars. Once I was done, I wished I had used airtight containers like little Gladware containers. According to the original recipe, it is supposed to keep for 1 year stored in airtight containers away from sunlight. I have an extra fridge, and I am storing it in there. These would be a great alternative to treats for neighbors and such. I hope you love it as much as I do.

0 comments: